Re: [RC] loin rubbing - Lynne Glazer

Just another "your mileage may vary" observation:

Conformation can play a big part in whether a horse experiences scrubbing of hair under the cantle area. So can the length of saddle.

In my "one-rat" case, my horse had severe rubbing with an OF. Less severe scrubbing of hair with an SS. With *any* saddle, if there is weight in a cantle bag, there is hair loss. She slopes downwards from the croup, with a deep stride to the middle of her belly, and really brings up her back in the trot--it's inevitable, in my years with her, that she'll lose hair with significant weight behind. So I put her Easy Boot in a Griffins bag hung on her side, and keep all of the light stuff like wet weather gear, collapsible water bucket, first aid stuff, etc. in the cantle bags, and keep the water up front, which has worked for 3 seasons.

(Heck, if the water isn't up front I won't remember to drink it. <g> )

In some years of fitting RP saddles, I've observed other horses with conformation like my mare's, and shifting the heavy stuff to the side has really done the trick for them, after the saddle issues are sorted out.

I have NOT seen loin scrubbing merely due to a rider's weight, though I've seen one-sided scrubbing due to either crooked horses or crooked riders.

Lynne