Re: [RC] Sport Saddles--loin rubbing question?--opps - Karla Watson

Opps---I mean "cantle" pack. Not pommel pack.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 10:06 AM
Subject: [RC] Sport Saddles--loin rubbing question?

All you experienced sports saddle people out there--I need your help.

I have just recently gotten a loin rubbing on one side after a very long and hard training ride and have not had any of them prior. I have been riding in a Bob Marshall sports saddle (I LOVE it!!) for about 7 months. My horse is shedding quite a long winter coat after being on pasture and it was a very warm day on that recent ride. I use a skito pad. I read all the archives on loin rubbing but did not find any answers. I have heard using double rigging helps but that has not worked before in the past cause my horse is very narrow girthed with well sprung ribs so girth does not stay back. Should I alternate with other pads between rides? I have a Toklat woolback that I could alternate with. Should I be concerned that it is on one side rather than both? My horse does prefer me to be on one diagonal and will actually move to make me change to that diagonal. I try to alternate as much as possible. I feel I ride centered but maybe I am not. It was a harder than usual ride. Does loin rubbing happen more with longer rides? I did have alot more weight (extra water bottles) in my pommel pack that day which I normally don't have. That added weight back in the loin area. Could that cause it? Thanks!!

Karla Watson
Portland, Oregon
#31812