Re: [RC] [RC] FW: More Dubai - DVeritas

In a message dated 3/28/2003 9:49:05 AM Mountain Standard Time, glenn218@xxxxxxxxx writes:

16 finishers out of 120 starters.  That's an 87% FAILURE rate.

    For the most part, I like how we practice endurance in this country, BUT, for perspective's sake, I remember riding in a ride (80 miler) in this country a couple/three years ago when we had 100% FAILURE rate. (I think it was 8 or 9 starters.)
    No one completed.
    Initially, it was some going too fast for the footing, then the weather jumped up and, IMO, stopped the rest of us from completing.
    I changed how my horse and I were proceeding along and ended up making the wrong decision and OT'ing. No lameness, no metabolic, just got lost on the prairie in the dark, near frozen.  I was happy we survived the night.
    Completion rate doesn't always tell the whole story...no matter our suspicions.
    Sometimes it's just hard...
     :^) Frank