Re: [RC] [RC] FW: More Dubai - Lynn Kinsky

Title: Re: [RC] [RC] FW: More Dubai
Funny, I've seen Tevis on particularly hot years have "failure rates" well over 60%.  And we don't boo Tevis for that.  Did you happen to notice that the poster mentioned 45-degree heat?  In case you're not familiar with the Celcius scale, that is the equivalent of 113F.  I would challenge anyone here to run a ride with appropriate veterinary control in that weather (dunno what the humidity was, but there was also mention of sandstorms), and with horses there that were not acclimated to those conditions, and NOT have a HUGE "failure" rate.  Little wonder, also, that the UAE horses had a distinct advantage--I can only imagine horses coming from Europe or the USA not doing well in those conditions, where we are just coming out of winter.

Too many people are willing to look at things with the most negative connotation possible--my first reaction to that was gee, under those conditions, the vets and riders sure were conscientious, and the standards sure had the horses' welfare in mind--the horses were pulled for their own benefit, and not run into the ground.  I'm glad to hear that the horse in this particular post that couldn't recover past 68 was pulled--he will remain healthy to run another day.

Heidi

The humidity wasn't too bad (http://www.wunderground.com/history/station/41217/2003/3/26/DailyHistory.html)

but all in all it didn't seem like fun riding weather . . .