Re: [RC] [RC] FW: More Dubai - Heidi Smith

>    For the most part, I like how we practice endurance in this country, BUT, for perspective's sake, I remember riding in a ride (80 miler) in this country a couple/three years ago when we had 100% FAILURE rate. (I think it was 8 or 9 starters.)
    No one completed.
    Initially, it was some going too fast for the footing, then the weather jumped up and, IMO, stopped the rest of us from completing.
    I changed how my horse and I were proceeding along and ended up making the wrong decision and OT'ing. No lameness, no metabolic, just got lost on the prairie in the dark, near frozen.  I was happy we survived the night.
    Completion rate doesn't always tell the whole story...no matter our suspicions.
    Sometimes it's just hard...
     :^) Frank

Well-said, Frank.  One of my proudest moments came when I was the only completer on a 90-miler under similar circumstances (only 4 entries, but that is a 75% "failure" rate), and the 60-miler at the same event had a likewise terrible "failure" rate.  The day was well into the 90's WITH considerable humidity, which was unusual and unseasonable in our part of the country.  But what made me proud was not just the completion--it was the fact that the vet made a big point of awarding my mare a BC award, after withholding the award on the 60-miler, where she felt that no horse merited receiving same.  The 60-milers that did complete were all just marginally at completion criteria, but my mare ate her head off all day, recovered well all day, and had a HR of 52 at her 10-minute post-ride check, good gut sounds, good appetite, good attitude, etc.  I thought the vets did a good job that day, and the weather was just one of those things that couldn't be helped.

Heidi