From: "Kristene Smuts" <Ksmuts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 12:12 AM
Subject: [RC] Orphaned Foal

Over the weekend I was asked to help with a 5 week old foal whose mom had
died on Thursday night from colic.  He wouldn't drink from the bottle -
formula milk for horse babies - but would lick / drink it from a bowl if
mixed with some grass hay.  He was grazing quite happily but would ask the
gelding babysitter very nicely for some milk to which he of course objected!

We tried for about 2 hours to get him to drink from the bottle, but
eventually he was so tired that he just collapsed and slept for 10 minutes.
I then suggested that they don't battle anymore with the bottle and that if
he is drinking the milk from the bowl, that they carry on like that.  His
stools are fine and he drinks quite a bit of water - pee is fine as well.

So, how long should they keep him on this milk substitute and is there
anything else they can give him?  They wanted to start him on concentrates
and mineral / vitamin supplement but I told them to hold on with that and
just to stick to the milk, grass hay and grazing for now.

The one foal pellet brand we have here has a protein content of 26% - not
sure if there are other brands I don't know of but will try and find out.

Thanks
Kristene