Re: [RC] Orphaned Foal - Heidi Smith

Let him drink out of a bucket or bowl--that is just fine.  I don't worry
about bottle feeding unless they are newborns--and even then, the quicker
one can switch them to a bucket or bowl, the easier it is.

Milk is not a real necessity at this age, but since he will drink milk
replacer from a bucket, it wouldn't hurt to supplement with some.  Foals
aren't designed to take on a whole bunch at once--so you can't really give
them as much as mama does unless you feed them every couple of hours.  At
his age, a pint or two every 6 hours would be a good supplement, and I
wouln't worry about keeping him on it more than another few weeks.  Get him
on the BEST forage you can find--a really well-put-up grass hay or a
grass-alfalfa mix (or mix them yourself)--you may need some alfalfa to get
the protein up where he needs it, depending on your grass hay, but you don't
need to overdo it.  A good "Junior" product will do just fine instead of
milk at this point, but again, don't overdo it--sounds like your pelleted
feed is really overkill.  I'd be more concerned about getting his minerals
from the supplement, as his protein need is about 16%--sounds like the
pelleted feed needs to just about be fed with straw!

My main concern with foals this age without mamas is social rather than
nutritional.  Can he stay with the kindly uncle gelding you mention?

Heidi