Re: [RC] Weed-free feed required on USFS lands - Linda B. Merims

Title: Re: [RC] Weed-free feed required on USFS lands
Heidi Smith said:
I said:
>Are processed grains considered to be a
>weed hazard?  I'm thinking of everything from "steamed
>crimped oats" to processed, pelleted feeds that no
>longer bear any resemblance to any living thing.

No, they are not a weed hazard.  The heating process, even if not hot enough to "cook" the feed, is enough to disrupt the DNA in any germinal cells.

Well, there's really two questions here:

  - are they a hazard, in fact
  - are they considered a pontential hazard
    by law/regulation/whoever happens to be
    in authority on the land

I am really asking the "legal" question as much as
the "truth" question.

Incidentally, this isn't entirely irrelevant to
Massachusetts residents.  Like most states pinched
for money, Massachusetts has begun to acquire large
tracts of land through "partnerships" with private
organizations like The Audubon Society and The
Nature Conservancy.  Put differently, most "new"
protected open land isn't owned exclusively by the state,
and therefore the land does not have the same legal
obligations for public access as the traditional
State Forests.

The Nature Conservancy is on an"invasive species"
kick here in Massachusetts.  It is part of the
unquestioned credo of environmental science
education that horses are sources of invasive
species and need to be kept off environmentally
sensitive land.

Linda B. Merims
Massachusetts, USA