Re: [RC] Weed-free feed required on USFS lands - Lynn Kinsky

Title: Re: [RC] Weed-free feed required on USFS lands
Jerry Fruth <hikryrdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  said:

>Linda,
>I've been thinking about this.  Beet pulp is made of beets.
>They are picked off the ground and then cut and cooked.
>So there can't be a weed in the stuff.

Yet another virtue of beet pulp, I guess.

I suppose somebody might worry whether the beets
themselves could still germinate, get loose, and smother
the western United States in squishy purple
tubers.

It'd be great for the cattle grazing guys, though.

Linda B. Merims

Sugar beets, like garden beets or radishes, or carrots, are a thickened root.  The plants themselves germinate from seeds produced by the above ground greens.  After they are thoroughly pulverized and processed to extract the sugar (and they are picked without the greens -- I've seen rail cars full of them heading to processing) there is nothing left that is viable, let alone able to germinate!  After all, the forest isn't overgrown with carrots and heaven knows enough of them have been eaten by horses out on the trail.