Re: [RC] Weed-free feed required on USFS lands - Lynn Kinsky

Title: Re: [RC] Weed-free feed required on USFS lands

----- Original Message -----
From: Lynn Kinsky
Subject: Re: [RC] Weed-free feed required on USFS lands

Sugar beets, like garden beets or radishes, or carrots, are a thickened root.  The plants themselves germinate from seeds produced by the above ground greens..
I blush.  Of course you're right.

In an effort to cover my embarassing lapse of memory
on elementary principles of plant reproduction, let
me ask another question:

Are processed grains considered to be a weed
hazard?  I'm thinking of everything from "steamed
crimped oats" to processed, pelleted feeds that no
longer bear any resemblance to any living thing.

Linda B. Merims
lbm@xxxxxxxxx
Massachusetts, USA

The quote that was published gave  OK to pelleted feeds, but any ride should get an opinion from the USFS District they are dealing with.

 When I had to deal with the USFS as trailmaster for our Sage Hill CTR I found a variable and deplorable lack of scientic knowledge among the supervisory personnel.  For instance, I had a nice 30 mile loop picked out but it involved going near an old mercury mine and our permit to use the loop was denied on safety reasons (it was a public trail, but the public didn't need to go through the permitting process <g>) -- might expose our riders to mercury vapor!  Now our hills are filled with cinnabar and it has to be heated to release the elemental mercury, and the city of Santa Barbara drinks water and allows fishing from the lake the mine is next to, but that was beside the point according to the District Ranger we had for five years.  By the time I got permission to borrow a mercury "sniffer" instrument from work (we worked with various heavy metal compounds) and went to the ranger with the offer of riding the trail to test levels . . .   we had a new district ranger with a background in mining, and he had already walked the trail with a sniffer and it was OK!  (But we had decided to move our ride onto private land and forget the USFS, so it was moot.)   So, good luck.