Re: [RC] Husband and Wife Team Award - Magnumsmom

Truman wrote:

 It seems strange that a team where the rider with the lesser of the
points has a bunch but when you calculate the magic formula the rider
with the larger number is over by 4.6% and that team is DQed by the
brick wall cut off.   [...]

Not when the "team" doesn't qualify for the award.  If you are 62 years
old, you are within 4.6% of riding for senior awards, but you do not qualify.
There is nothing wrong with a black and white "cut-off" to qualify for an
award.

If a husband and wife are TRUELY riding as a team, one will easily be within
50% of the miles of the other.  An example I sent privately is Judy Long and
Nick Warhol.  Nick's first horse got old.  He has had bad luck with his
second
horse and his third horse is more suited to Judy.  Did Judy just ride
Warpaint
(her horse... before Nick) and let Nick crew?  No.  Judy and Nick trade off
with
Warpaint and crewing.  Judy let Nick have Warpaint to ride Tevis.  Have they
been riding as a husband and wife team?  Yes.  For years.

To reiterate, I think the intent of the award was to make sure the high
mileage
rider and a spouse didn't automatically win this award.  If the riders in
question
for your 4.6% example were truely riding as a H/W team the qualifications for
Husband and Wife award would not have been an issue for them.

No, I don't think that 250 qualifying miles should be adopted either.  This
is a
TEAM award.  TEAM.  To me that means a TEAM... as in all year long.

Yes, I think it is black and white.  Either you are riding as a Husband and
Wife
Team, or you are not.  Therefore, either you qualify for the award and
placings
or you do not.  And that's alright.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM