Re: Have to have crew?

K S Swigart wrote:
> p.s.  And if management doesn't provide hay and water for the horses at
> the vet check (and I haven't been to a ride in years that doesn't), then
> as long as you are not front running it is generally possible to "mooch"
> off of other crews...but ask politely...

Aaah - regional differences again.  In 18 years, I have NEVER been to
ride where the ride management supplied hay, and water is everywhere!!!
We ride in the NE where water and forage is generally not too big an
issue.  We feed hay at checks (our own) since 100 horses in a small area
really trample potential grazing, but there's LOTS of places along the
trail for them to munch.

I've noticed that horses like cleaning up other's "leftovers".  Hey mom
- something different!!  Please, do ask first like Kat said.  I've come
into a check and found two strange horses polishing off all of my hay,
and we hadn't gotten ANY of it yet!  Not cool.

Kat, are your rides more desert-like?  Less forage so that the RM brings
hay to checks?  Do you encounter potable (for horses) natural water?

Linda Flemmer