Re: Have to have crew?

In a message dated 2/9/99 10:58:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu writes:

<< Kat, are your rides more desert-like?  Less forage so that the RM brings
 hay to checks?  Do you encounter potable (for horses) natural water?

 Linda Flemmer >>

I'm not Kat, but here in the NW most RM's provide hay even if there is forage,
just for convenience.  Gives folks that much more choice for their horses,
too.  In fact, we usually provide both alfalfa AND grass hay at checks, so you
can take your pick.  Also, here in the NW, some of our rides are desert and
some are not, but even on the "valley" rides where there is more natural
water, it is not always easily accessable, so most of the managers still put
SOME water out.  On one of the rides that we manage, there is only natural
water at one check (none in camp, either) so we haul every drop except for
that one check--usually about 4000 to 5000 gallons.  At that one check we
still have to be "creative"--there is a good spring and it has been "improved"
(ie has a springbox and water coming out of a pipe) but there is no way that
150 horses could safely drink there, nor would they leave it intact afterward.
We rig up a hose attached to the pipe by a piece of bicycle inner tube and two
hose clamps (since the spring pipe is not threaded and it is a low-pressure
system) and run the water to a couple of tanks about 150 feet away in a little
meadow.

Most of the ride managers here also make sure at the briefing to identify
vehicles or staging areas for each check so that a crewless rider can leave
whatever "stuff" they want sent to a particular check and have it arrive there
for them.

Heidi