Doing 50's

Hi everyone,
	I understand that conditioning (as a subject) has probably been beaten to
death, BUT I searched archives and couldn't find anything to answer the
questions I have.  So, here goes.  I have done some 25's and I would really
like to do a 50 and be a "real" endurance rider <vbg> but I don't know how
to tell if my horse has had enough conditioning to do one.  How many miles
do you guys ride on an average conditioning ride?
	I only want to complete, absolutely would be back of the pack.  The horse
I am using is a borrowed 6 year old 15.2 hand appendix thoroughbred mare
who has been team roped on for the past twelve months, carrying a 50 or
60lb saddle plus a 200lb+ rider for hours at a time two or three days a
week.  (pretty demanding work - lots of running)  I've been riding every
other day or so for an hour or two at a time and she is still humpy backed
and fiesty every time I get on her.  I am trying to do 7 to 10 miles, 3
days a week with a couple of days of just playing around in the arena and a
little roping. She doesn't even break a sweat doing this stuff.  (This is
what I normally do for a 25)  So, what do I need to build her up to
(mileage-wise) if I am considering doing a 50?  I have read the AERC
handbook on conditioning, but have heard that their guide is a little
excessive.  One other thing, Sunny hasn't done this before although she has
hauled to a lot of ropings and handles everything (eating, drinking) really
well.  Thanks in advance.  Rachael & Sunshine