Re: Have to have crew?

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, April Lee wrote:

> I really don't have any friends that would come out and do that for me.  Is
> it possible to get by without a crew?  Obviously, since I'm a beginner, I
> would start with a 25 miler.

I have found that the only kind of ride you NEED a "crew" for is a
point-to-point...somebody has to get your trailer to the other end.
Otherwise, as long as there is hay and water for the horses at the vet
checks, you don't need a crew...no matter how far you are going, but
especially not for 25 miles.

kat

p.s.  And if management doesn't provide hay and water for the horses at
the vet check (and I haven't been to a ride in years that doesn't), then
as long as you are not front running it is generally possible to "mooch"
off of other crews...but ask politely...and arrange it in advance (don't
wait until after you get to the vet check with a hungry and thirsty
horse).