Re: Have to have crew?

April Lee wrote:

> > I really don't have any friends that would come out and do that for me.  Is
> > it possible to get by without a crew?  Obviously, since I'm a beginner, I
> > would start with a 25 miler.

Most 25 mile rides have only one vet check, so it shouldn't bee to bad.
You can drive stuff out to the check point or even better yet, choose a
ride that does loops out of the base camp.  If you are organized & have
it all set up before you ride, you'll be ok.  Easily half the people on
"local" AERC rides do it without crew.  As the competition gets more
fierce, a good crew can make enough difference to win or not.

Last ride of last season, we met Pat Oliva at the Mtn State ride in WV.
I have to give her credit - she packs up and off she goes, young
beginner horse and all, by herself.  I offered to take her gear to the
midpoint for her.  If I hadn't done it, ride management would have in
their truck.  This is how things normally work.  Mike was pulled at the
check, so we told Pat that we were leaving her gear for her future
checks (all looped back to there) and she would drive down to get it at
the end.  (Her gelding liked Major's food & vice versa, so we left
Major's extra munchies and fresh filled buckets of water.)

Crews are a NICE luxury.  I've been spoiled by my husband.  He's the
most organized person for that sort of thing.  Be prepared to <really>
do something nice for your crew if you want them to EVER do it again!

Linda Flemmer