Re: No Control

Linda Cowles wrote:
> I wrote a post on "Race Brain Training" a few weeks ago (the post Abby
> Bloxsom referred to) that I'll email to you. It describes a process for
> getting a horse like yours from where Lynette leaves off to working just
> like you want her to in groups. Race Brain training is a hoot for both
> you and the horses, mine love doing it! - but it's important to do this
> circling work first.

Hi Linda,

I just got done reading your post on "Race Brain Training," and I
thought you might be interested in a little story. I have a Crabbet bred
gelding that I raise my self and put many, many years of knowledge on
handling Arabs into. I taught him to be the best push button horse on
the trail. He would stay in the gait that I asked of him on a loose
rein, no matter if someone was racing ahead or not. He trusted me with
everything so if he was tense about a situation just my saying, "it's
OK," would calm him down and he would walk right past. And he never
refused me on the trail. Would go through situations that would unnerve
the steadiest horse, just because he had so much confidence in me. A
perfect trail horse, right? Well, maybe if you like QHs. But for someone
who loves Arabs, and for an Arab, there was only one word to describe
us, BORING. All of the other trail riders would just marvel at my well
behaved Arab and would ask, "are you sure he is an Arab?" Now I was
beginning to think that maybe he was an QH after all. Well, as you
probably have guessed by now I got very bored with riding him and he got
very bored with being ridden. Instead of running to great me in the
pasture, he started to turn and walk the other way.  Then after lurking
on this list for over a year, I decided to try a 13 mile competitive
ride. Since this was my first ride, I decided to let him pick his own
gaits. I did not want to push him beyond what he was capable of. And I
had learned from the list that it was OK to do that. It took a little
bit to get it across to him that it was OK, he could pick the gaits, and
the most wondrous thing happened. He came ALIVE and he had a blast! And
I had a blast and we placed fourth out of 13 riders. (I was riding him
in a big western roping saddle, that soared his short back with all of
the trotting, I have since learned better) He would have been second if
it had not been for the saddle.

We were both hooked and my perfect trail horse disappear. I was on a
trail ride two weeks later and he wanted to do the competitive thing
again. No more walk, walk, walk all day, he wanted to GO. "But," I
argued with him, "this is an trail ride not an endurance ride, we HAVE
TO WALK." But he would not listen, he had found his true nature and I
was not going to make him go back to being a QH. So I gave in. Not
because I couldn't win but because I wanted to give in. I wanted an
Arab, not a QH. So we ride trail rides like endurance rides, we just
ride circles around everyone else. When he wants to go, we go. When I
want to walk we walk. It is a compromise and we both love it. But I am
sure glad that I had the basic training in him, because he is so good
that my 7 yr. old twins ride him with no problem. I am going to try some
of your "Race Brain Training" with him. He is going to love it. Thanks
for the post.

Lynette