Re: No Control

Bluebirdpr@aol.com wrote:

> Now that I am again getting ridecamp messages, I need help.  If this topic has
> been overly discussed before, someone please let me know and I'll search the
> archives.
> I have a Rocky Mtn. mare who has a heart of gold and was a member
> of the Rocky Mountain Drill Team before I bought her.  I started riding her
> with endurance in mind and train by myself and sometimes with my wife and her
> Arab.  The problem is, she is a front runner and will do whatever it takes to
> get to the front, therefore leaving me with a horse which you can't stop.  I'm
> using a bit with a pretty severe port with 6" shanks.  I've tried three
> different types of bits with no luck.  I rode her in a NATRAC ride and could
> not keep her back.  I have tried a hackamore which seems to help but still
> have a fight on my hands.  I don't want to give up on this horse but riding
> her in a group is not fun.  By herself she is as calm as you could ask for and
> a real treat to ride.  This is not a big horse 14.3 and I'm a heavyweight
> rider.  I am not a novice rider and this mare has done the same thing with
> other riders.  Any suggestions on bits, training, ect.... would greatly be
> appreciated.  Thanks
>
> Phil and the very powerful BLISS

This is a complex issue, but I do have a couple of comments for you.

First, remember that it's not the bit that stops the horse - although it
looks like you've already found that out - it's the training.

Second, your situation is complicated by the fact that you mostly ride
alone, but since you do have a wife/horse available, you can probably
help the issue with some work if she's willing to participate.
Essentially, you gotta go back to first grade (ok maybe 2nd grade).

Third, you can go back into the archives and search the past 3 weeks or
so for someone (eeek can't remember who) who wrote an excellent post
about teaching a horse to wait on command until another horse gets
ahead.  If you can't find it, write me back & I'll try to recreate it.

Fourth, since it sounds like your mare is pretty strong & determined,
you may need to go all the way back to practicing this at the walk, and
only letting the other horse get 3-4 steps ahead.  Basically, whatever
level you can succeed at.

Good luck, and let me know your results.

-Abby Bloxsom