No Control

Now that I am again getting ridecamp messages, I need help.  If this topic has
been overly discussed before, someone please let me know and I'll search the
archives.  I have a Rocky Mtn. mare who has a heart of gold and was a member
of the Rocky Mountain Drill Team before I bought her.  I started riding her
with endurance in mind and train by myself and sometimes with my wife and her
Arab.  The problem is, she is a front runner and will do whatever it takes to
get to the front, therefore leaving me with a horse which you can't stop.  I'm
using a bit with a pretty severe port with 6" shanks.  I've tried three
different types of bits with no luck.  I rode her in a NATRAC ride and could
not keep her back.  I have tried a hackamore which seems to help but still
have a fight on my hands.  I don't want to give up on this horse but riding
her in a group is not fun.  By herself she is as calm as you could ask for and
a real treat to ride.  This is not a big horse 14.3 and I'm a heavyweight
rider.  I am not a novice rider and this mare has done the same thing with
other riders.  Any suggestions on bits, training, ect.... would greatly be
appreciated.  Thanks

Phil and the very powerful BLISS