Re: Breast Collars

Must admit the breast collar thread has been chuckly--especially liked Susan's
response...

I do have one .02 to put in here, though.  A breast collar is just a crutch to
make up for a horse that doesn't hold a saddle well.  I have ridden over 5000
miles in competition, as well as hunted elk and chased cows in rough country,
and I have yet to own one of the contraptions.  My Dad did have one shad-
bellied horse that really needed one or he would have ended up just like
Susan's story.  The bottom line is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If your
saddle stays put with no extra help, why add one more piece of tack to rub,
snag, catch, or whatever?  On the other hand, if you need the crutch to stay
safe while keeping your horse comfortable, by all means use one.  My point is,
only use what you need--don't get ANY item of tack just because so-and-so uses
it or somebody was selling it and it sounded like a good idea.  Every piece of
tack has a purpose, and you have to look at your own situation to see if that
purpose applies to you and your horse.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)