Re: 25 mile ride personal survey.

<< The vets have told me I have a 50 to
 100 mile horse. Unfortunately, the poor boy is saddled with a 25 mile
 rider! I'm trying to catch up with him! >>

Chris hit the nail on the head.  There are very few 25-mile horses out there,
but there are lots of 25-mile people.  There are almost no horses that even
need to start at 25 miles--we routinely start with 50's and just go slower.
In fact, I hate to have any of my horses think that the job is over at 25
miles!  I would not hesitate to take any sound, well-broke reasonably fit
horse and COMPLETE 50 miles.  (Note I did not say "race" or Top Ten...)  I
have done this on a number of my broodmares when they have only been under
saddle for a matter of several weeks.  They usually think it is fun if we
don't push too hard.

It is the HUMAN half of the team that is almost always the limiting half of
the equation.  I have many good friends who ride LD rides for various reasons.
If they are honest and up front and take care of their horses, they have my
respect.  One friend is so big-busted that she gets black-and-blue shoulders
from her bra straps after about three hours (regardless of distance) and rides
in agony if she goes longer.  Others have arthritis, health problems, or
whatever, but want to participate at a level they can without too much pain or
incapacity.  More power to them.  Some people just flat say that is all they
care to do.  Fine.  A lot of people get started in this sport and simply don't
have the self-confidence to go farther in the beginning.  Fine.  For those who
have given their all to do 25 miles, my hat is off to you.  For those who I
know could and should and would enjoy more, I try to encourage and empower
until they are brave enough to try.  But when they tell me their horse "needs"
more time at limited distance rides, I generally look them in the eye and tell
them to look in the mirror and be more honest about who it is that needs the
shorter rides.

As for respect?  If you do your best to be a sportsman, a horseman, and a
decent person, you will earn my respect, whether I am wearing my ride vet hat,
my ride manager hat, or my helmet while I compete next to you, regardless of
the distance you ride.

For the record, my first ride was a 100 a quarter of a century ago, I still
prefer the 100's, but when I look at the demographics of our sport, I will be
the first to admit that my start was not typical....

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)