Re: Breast Collars

In a message dated 98-01-30 14:38:53 EST, RUN4BEAR@aol.com writes:

> Most endurance riders use the "hunt" style which lays along the
>  shoulder and does not impede movement...

I've often wondered if these don't cause the saddle to "dig in" to the horse's
shoulders because they are attached to the (relative) top of the saddle.  An
old timer I used to ride with always took off the short strap that goes from
the ring on the shoulder of the breastplate to the D in the front of the
saddle, and replaced it with a longer leather strap that looped around the
billets.

Could some of the white hairs we see just behind the withers possibly be
caused by tugging on the breastplate and not necessarily poor saddle fit?

Linda
San Francisco