Barrel racing sattel

Hello,
I want to start some Endurance riding this spring. My husband was so
sweet to offer me his 3 yr. old Arabien/mix gelding to try it on, since
my horse is a Quarterhorse and i heard that they are not very good for
Endurance. I never tried Endurance riding before and don't want to spend
a lot of money on special tack before i find out if I like it or not.
Right know I use a 20 lbs. heavy barrel racing sattel on my Quarterhorse
mare. Will that be good enough to start Endurance on my husbands
Gelding?