Re: Barrel racing sattel

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Simone Jordon wrote:

> I want to start some Endurance riding this spring. My husband was so
> sweet to offer me his 3 yr. old Arabien/mix gelding to try it on, since
> my horse is a Quarterhorse and i heard that they are not very good for
> Endurance. I never tried Endurance riding before and don't want to spend
> a lot of money on special tack before i find out if I like it or not.
> Right know I use a 20 lbs. heavy barrel racing sattel on my Quarterhorse
> mare. Will that be good enough to start Endurance on my husbands
> Gelding?

It will if it fits your husband's horse.  It would also help if you find
it comfortable enough to ride long distances in, but this is not
ABSOLUTELY necessary :).

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s. I have a mare that I a riding/training for endurance right now, and
the only saddle I have that fits her is a 50 lb, 50 year old, barrel
racing saddle.  Having a saddle that fits properly is far more important
than a few extra pounds....and since I don't own this mare, I am NOT going
to go out and buy a new saddle to fit a horse that I don't own.  She does
just fine carrying my old Heiser. ...and I keep my hand planted FIRMLY on
that horn when we come to water crossings (since she has a tendency to
jump into them (: ).