[RC] Ride now instead of later (was: Which boots?) - k s swigart

taras25 said:

I don't want the headache that I have read about with
?the fitting of them - I want to ride...now instead of later

If you want to ride now instead of later, nail shoes on your horse. (And we can
add that to one of the Endurance quotes too.)

Horse shoes were invented by and have been used for centuries by people who
needed to reliably protect their horses' feet often because their own lives
depended on it. They didn't have the leisure of constantly having to mess
around with their horses' feet.

In the past 20 years that I have been messing around with it myself, I have
come to the conclusion that IF a horse's feet need some kind of protection (not
all of them do), that nailed on steel is the lowest on the PITA factor, and the
most reliable way to provide that protection.? So now, the only horses that I
wouldn't use it on are those for whom it demonstrably does not work (which I
concede there are some and I have one), or if they need the protection only
rarely and for short periods of time and it doesn't matter all that much if the
alternative fails.

Their biggest drawback is that they require expertise and expensive equipment
to apply (so finding somebody to do this for you can be difficult, if it is
impossible, that is another good reason for not doing it--but I don't have that
problem, I have access to multiple competent horse shoers).

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)

p.s. From my understanding of the Renegade Boots, while the intial PITA factor
of fitting them is pretty high, AFTER having been fit their PITA factor is
fairly low and their reliability is pretty high, but I haven't tried it myself
so I cannot swear to it.? If I were determine not to nail shoes on my horse and
had tried some of the cheaper and lower PITA options, I would probably invest
at least some time and money in the Renegades.