Re: [RC] [Consider This] The Jigging Horse - Elizabeth Walker

These are just ideas - I'm not sure if they would work or not, but if you want suggestions:

This really sounds like a case of being anxious to get home.  My inclination would be to ride as normal until you get to the "jigging spot".  When the horse starts jigging, calmly turn around and head back out - maybe 3 - 5 minutes.  Then turn around and try it again.  Repeat.  The idea is to get the horse to understand that starting a jig means "turn around and head back out".

Another would be to try the "get off and walk" method - but do it *before* you get to the jig spot.  Try stopping at the same place, until your horse expects you to stop there.  Then, ride a bit further toward home before you dismount - at the jig spot.  Repeat until he expects to stop there.  Then ride *past* the jig spot before dismounting, etc.

For the second method, in order to derail his train of thought some more, you might carry some treats.  When you stop and dismount, give him a treat.  Just be careful - I have a cookie monster.  :)  Caisson has been known to come to a halt when I reached for a water bottle.  :)  He is also really good at remembering the spots on the trail where he got a cookie the *last* time.