Re: [RC] Wearing the front more NOT - Renie

Same here; my horse can wear a set of hinds down to butter-knife thinness in 3 weeks, but the fronts have lots of wear left. The area I ride, in North California, is granite and decomposed granite, lots of rock. It has been one of my concerns which has kept me from going to barefoot and boots. In fact, i put easy boot epics on my horse one year, and in 2 training rides, totaling 37 miles, the easyboots were worn smooth on the bottoms, no tread left. I figured that it would get a bit expensive replacing boots every week or so! Right now, my horse is barefoot and getting rest from a sore hock issue. I am going to try the easy boot gloves when I start riding him again, as these will probably be easy rides for awhile. I would never ask a horse to do the trails I ride to go barefoot; solid granite like shark's teeth in lots of places, and rock covered roads, very abrasive. I figured if the trails can wear down metal shoes in 3 weeks and boots in 2 rides, how can a horse's hoof keep up? We'll see how the "experiment" goes. BTW, I have an excellent farrier who is working with me while I try the "no metal shoes" program. Renie
----- Original Message ----- From: "k s swigart" <katswig@xxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 5:31 PM
Subject: [RC] Wearing the front more (was: barefoot/booted)

Marirose Six said:

I have seen that 'my' barefoot horses have often worn
their front hooves more. I have seen 'my' shod horses wear
their front shoes much quicker.

I almost never see this, and would consider my horse to not be "working properly" if I did.

I routinely get resets (and sometimes two) out of my horses' front shoes while the hind shoes are worn thin within one shoeing cycle.

I don't ever protect the front and not the back, as far as I am concerned that is just encouraging the horse to travel heavy on the forehand. I HAVE often been known to protect the back and not the front. I have one horse right now that is barefoot in front. She has steel on the hind though, and will wear through them within 5-6 weeks.

kat
Orange County, Calif.