Re: [RC] pulling shoes now OLDER horse - Truman Prevatt

Sisu West Ranch wrote:
This doesn't seem to bother some horses that are campained in boots.  I wonder why?

In Florida the feet can be soft because of all the moisture. When we went to the ROC in Utah we found that there were rocks, that's not difficult to handle. However, these rocks were sharp which and were damaging the hoof wall. I decided to ride the ROC in  EZ boots. I got four and didn't have too long to get the mare used to them. I foamed them on the day before the ride and she did a 100 miles without any problems. I was amazed. She was a big strong girl so that may have been it. She may have been one of those horses that is fairly forgiving in that she went like she went and shoes had little effect to change that - I don't know. It may be that contrary to what we think, boots don't change the breakover or hoof flight much.

However, I still have somewhat an issue with riding a ride in boots when the horse doesn't have boots on 95% of the time. There is the old adage - don't do anything new the day of the ride and riding with boots seems to break that.

Truman

--
"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back

"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back."  - Paul Erdos