[RC] shin splints - sherman

Title: Message
In 40 years of riding I got shin splints once, in a relatively new saddle (as in hadn't done a 50 with it yet, but probably had 20 15-20 mile rides) so possibly didn't have the adjustments fine tuned, AND did a 100 that involved LOTS of downhill trotting. I was not the only one on the ride with shin splints. It was just after the big fires in CA last summer and so I hadn't been walking/jogging as much as I usually do (didn't want to ruin my lungs), so the splints were probably a combo of lesser muscle tone, the stress of downhill trotting and maybe the stirrup length a smidgeon off. In addition to a 3 mile walk/jog up and down hills about 4 times a week, I practice standing on one leg (and for a good strectch bring the other leg up to my chest) often to improve the muscle along the shin. I think it works, you can feel your muscle working as you balance.

Kathy