Re: [RC] Epona shoes - Truman Prevatt

Valerie Jaques wrote:
I have been nailing Eponas on five horses. One wore them briefly to do street work, three are wearing them for endurance, and one is wearing them to resolve lameness issues. I like them best with the packing. Even with the mesh, not packing them lets crap get underneath them. I haven't had any trouble with thrush, but if you have a horse that is prone to it to begin with, you can always apply a little copper sulfate under the packing. You have to get that from a vet. The crystals Epona sells don't work as well, but will help. In all cases, the horses' feet are healthy and doing just fine. A good, solid trim is the most important component of any shoeing, so it's still important to have a competent farrier.

Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. Check it out. <http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_explore_022009>
I think the plastic shoes are fine under certain conditions and not under others. I tried the Equiflex some time back. The problem we have a lot of wet weather and the plastic type shoes are just too flexible and that causes all sorts of problems with the foot shoe interface. While I liked the Equiflex and would use them if I lived in a semi-arid environment - they just didn't work in a wet climate.

Truman

--

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken