[RC] exciting last day of VV ride - alexis_mills

Took another fall off Sami this evening (my 2nd in three years) on our way back from visiting Saguaro Nat'l Park East for the first time. We were in a wash, approaching a a pretty busy road that I was planning to lead him across, when he decided to perform his favorite trick, the 180 spin and bolt. My treeless saddle was too loosely girthed and slipped to the side, so as he was accelerating, I just dove off into the sand. Sure glad I had the helmet on. He then ran off, bucking, and jumped out of the wash onto a neighboring dirt road, but stopped to visit some horses, fortunately.
He walked right up to me when I got close, but as I was trying to adjust the saddle, he stuck his nose in a jumping cholla! I grabbed a stick and was able to knock them off pretty quickly, but it took a few tries, and I was amazed he let me do that. Only got one stuck on me in the process, so that was pretty good too. I'm taking a long-tooth comb out there from now on.

I led him the 1/2 mile back across the road and to the main wash, got back on, and rode the 2 miles home, so once again, we lucked out. No major injuries.

Not sure I would have ventured out there alone if I wasn't trying to log some miles for the VV ride, but I'm glad I did. I just have to be more careful exposing Sami to new areas, and spend more time leading him if necessary. It would also be great if I had health insurance...