[RC] Linda in Abu Dhabi - Day 4, part 2 - Jay Randle

We all went our own ways and started working on our shopping lists. Meg
was the first to get through hers and headed to the cafe we agreed to meet
at. I got my things and then wen to the cafe and started to download more
emails while we waited for the other two. Naomi & Kristie both managed to
get the necessaries so we compared shopping outcomes before having a quick
bite to eat and then back to the motel and stables.

The afternoon chores were done and we headed back to the motel with the
luxury of 1 ½ hrs to get organised. So it was a fairly leisurely time
before heading out and, wonder of wonders, Meg was on time too! We had
decided to try a different route into the city to avoid some of the
heavier traffic but it was still quite heavy. Pulling up at the Palace it
looks for all the world like one of those palaces out of the fairy tale
books – the sheer dimensions of the place take your breath away together
with the lighting (it would take a small power station to generate enough
electricity I’m sure). We headed for the car park and tucked the Nissan
Patrol in amongst the Bentleys and Rollers and Porsches and other flash
looking cars!

Once into the lobby we were greeted by a line of welcoming staff who spent
all evening just standing there chatting amongst themselves and saying
good evening to everyone who walked in. I don’t think that I can go the
grandeur and opulence of this place any justice with mere words and you’d
need to see it to believe it! I’m not sure I know how expensive it is to
stay in the place but I’m sure I’ll never be able to afford it!

The obligatory entertainment was provided by way of a grand piano and a
very pretty girl playing it. She was later replaced by someone playing a
harp.

We headed off to our restaurant and ordered a cocktail – at the wee price
of 60 dhs or about $30. One of the prices on the menu was for a reef and
beef style meal for two people costing a mere 500 dhs ($250). Needless to
say the food was exquisite, the service was attentive and the wine was
beautiful. We had a great night chatting with Stefano, Sefian, Roberto
and Peo (not sure of the spelling here). Our converstation nearly always
centering on endurance, of course!

I was still fitting the effects of jet lag so was pretty tired and very
glad when the night finished relatively early at 11.30 a.m. We headed
back to the motel but I gave Meg a bum steer in the directions and we
headed off the freeway too early but still found our way home again. I
was so glad to crawl into bed. Tomorrow looks like it will be an easier
day and the possibility of some free time in the arvo is very appealing!

Cheers for now

Linda

Click here for the latest news and tips. Get the most out of your life online!