[RC] Linda in Abu Dhabi - Day 4, part 1 - Jay Randle

Hi Everybody

Slowly catching up on the activities. Yesterday saw me up and at them by
5.30 a.m. I’ve been neglecting to tell you about the joys of my shower –
barely warm water is about the best that I can manage. I’m been telling
myself to ‘suck it up Princess’ and bear the pain but I would kill for a
hot shower just now. But, it is teaching me efficiency in the shower
routine and that it doesn’t take 10 minutes to wash hear, cleanse the
face, exfoliate and wash!

Today’s activities include a return trip to the shopping mall to finalise
our shopping and the trip to the Emirates Palace motel. Penny came out
riding with us today and the girls decided to do the training loop in the
reverse direction this time. So they all headed off down the finishing
chute. Naomi and I were doing our usual, driving alongside chatting when
Kalahari picked up some movement from afar. We decided to go and
investigate so zoomed off in the car to see a herd of camels just
wandering around all over the training tracks. There would probably have
been about 40-50 camels of varying sizes and colours. We tried to herd
them away from the training track (all the time looking over our shoulders
to see if we were getting sprung for this activity) but weren’t terribly
successful as the camels seemed to be terribly intent on going over and
saying g’day to the horses.

Kalahari got pretty excited and Kitt also joined in the fun but the girls
scooted through a gap and headed out on the training tracks. Kalahari was
a little unsettled for quite some time and the appearance of a further
group of camels added to her anxiety. Meg decided to go across country to
another track and Penny thought she’d turn around and head for home,
taking the escort vehicle with her. We followed Meg and Kristie with me
at the wheel. Having just recently watched all the episodes of the Dakar
rally in South America I thought I’d give the sand hill bashing a bit of a
whirl. Had lots of fun until I came over one that dropped off steeply on
the side and hit the bottom with such a thump I thought we’d broken the
chassis! I can see my days of rally driving may be numbered!

We found a great little hill and took photos with the lovely sand dunes as
the backdrop. Some were silhouette type photos and others were group
photos. We had a real ball doing this and then turned the horses for home
and some water bottle practice. Kalahari is improving but I think she’s
been talking with China Doll as she’s beginning to do the China wriggle
away just as you pass up the bottle.

After washing down the horses and feeding them we headed back to the motel
for a quick change and then back into town. Meg came along this time so
we got to enjoy her driving capabilities. It wasn’t quite as bad as
yesterday but the traffic was very heavy and a few broken down cars in our
lane caused some grief.

Combine your email accounts here! Want to marry your mail?