Re: [RC] ... disappoints me when I run into discourteous riders - Sandy Adams

no it is NOT  a bad thing - it is a good thing to work to AVOID injury. Ask anyone who has gone down hard. The problem is that no matter WHAT you do, being around people who do stupid things is problematic. I used to tell my students - things can go wrong when you do EVERYTHING RIGHT - so WHy would you CHOOSe to NOT do everything right? I did not tell them - ego, pride, stupidity, ignorance, selfishness, haste. No thinking, prudent person does things that present a danger to themselves or someone else and we EXPECT adults persons who go do things in public to be prudent, do we not? When adult persons fail to act prudently in public ( one can do whatever stupid thing they desire in the privacy of their own homes), not only can others get hurt, but such adults give the EVENT a black eye, ultimately can hurt others, and in the end teach another generation that imprudent, selfish and stupid behavior is acceptable (so long as it isn't YOU that gets hurt I guess). I am reluctant to allow strangers to ride with me because I have had too many bad experiences with people who behave like they have had a "brainectomy" -such as the ones who used MY  horse as brakes for THEIR horses; the ones who gallop hell bent for leather PAST me OFF the trail or worse yet, run me OFF the trail. These are experiences of mine, not "what ifs".

It puzzles me why here in California we have so many truly frivolous lawsuits (such as the idiot who put the hot coffee between her legs while driving - do we  not know that hot liquid not only burns but SPILLS??) yet many continue to do truly stupid things in public? It gives our sport a bad name in the very LEAST when we have riders who are bad actors, whether it is the obnoxious language heard by one of our neighbors form a couple of riders at the BVE last November, or even WORSE, running hikers and bikers off the trail as happened at the Malibu ride a few years back. As my mama told me years ago - you are not NEARLY as important as you think you are. hmmm. I guess that top ten doesn't mean much in the general spectre of life

=