[RC] ... disappoints me when I run into discourteous riders - Michelle Aquilino

Sometimes I feel overly cautious in general, but I suppose it's not always a bad thing.  I always assume that a horse "may" kick, that they're not ok with horses running past them, etc.  A lot of experienced horses are ok with such behavior, or are used to other horses being in their space, but I'd rather err on the side of caution than get too comfortable and stop even thinking about the possibility...  which could easily end up in an accident.

I was at a ride (not an endurance ride, just a public trail ride), and was trying to find someone to possibly ride with (at a non snail-pace).  One of the women running the event, suggested a pair of riders that were heading out that were going to be keeping up a good pace.  I could tell they were a little aversive to the idea, so I didn't end up going out with them.  I did go out shortly after them though, so was behind them (not up close, like 50 feet or something).  They asked me to pass, so I did, and once in front, I kept up a good solid trot.  These were apparently people who went slow then wicked fast, then slow, then wicked fast, etc, lol.  The first uphill climb we reached, one of the pair went gallopping (like all out) up the hill, and FLEW past me.  My horse is good with horses passing in a controlled manner (even if at a canter), but the gallop completely threw her for a loop, and it was just a huge mess.  I've never experienced such rude behavior before (but hey, at least I know they're not in the "endurance circle", and thus hopefully I won't run into them again =P  ).

--
"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"