Re: [RC] Fwd: The Power Of The Badge - Barbara McCrary

I can relate to that one, but truthfully, it's far more dangerous to be in the same field with a snotty old cow who has a newborn calf with her.  I've rarely had trouble with our bulls, but I nearly left this world when I decided to try helping a horned cow retrieve her calf that had rolled under a barbed wire fence.  I tried to push the calf uphill under the bottom wire.  The calf kept rolling downhill.  I finally decided I'd go into the pen with the cow and drive her through the gate so she could be with her calf.  She took one look at me, lowered her head, let out a bellow.....and I had a fraction of a second to think how to save my life.  Several other options didn't appear useful, so I raised my hands above my head (make yourself look BIG), jumped up and down and yelled as loud as I could in a tone of voice that said I was a very threatening animal.  That worked, and I got the heck out of there (as Lud would say) ASAP.  I figured that cow could find her own calf.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:51 AM
Subject: [RC] Fwd: The Power Of The Badge

Need a little succinct humor this morning?

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Fred Mikoleit" <fredthem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: January 29, 2009 8:47:04 AM PST
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
Subject: The Power Of The Badge

A DEA officer stopped at a ranch in Montana, and spoke to an old rancher who was busy fixing a fence.  He told the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs."

The old rancher says, "Okay, but don't go in that field over there" and pointed to a large fenced-in field.

The DEA officer leaned toward the rancher and said assertedly, "Mister, I have the authority of the Federal Government with me."  The officer reached into his rear pants pocket and removed a badge, proudly displaying to the racher.  "See this badge?  I allows me to go wherever I feel that I need to go in the pursuit of my duty.  Do I make myself clear?
The old rancher nodded and returned to the fence he was fixing.

A short time later, the old rancher heard loud screams and saw the DEA officer running and being chased by the rancher's prized bull.  With every step, the bull was gaining ground on the officer.  It appeared that the officer might be "horned" before he could reach the safety of the gate.  The rancher threw down the tools that he was holding and cupped his hands to his mouth.

"Your badge!" the old rancher yelled, "show him your badge!"

=