Re: [RC] trailer brakes - Barbara McCrary

In 1989, on the way home from the Outlaw Trail ride, our driver was our crew person, an Australian friend.  1) He had been used to driving on the other side of the road.  2) We decided to take a scenic tour of Sedona, AZ pulling a 20' aluminum gooseneck with 4 horses and 3 people with a Ford diesel and automatic transmission.  To shorten the story considerably, I have never been so terrified in my life.  The grade down into Oak Creek Canyon is very steep, the auto transmission didn't hold the trailer at all well, and the brakes were beginning to fade.  Fortunately, our driver pulled us through, even though he was driving on the opposite side from what he was used to.  I don't want to try that again.  I think that's when Lud decided to buy only stick shifts from then on.

Barbara

Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:18 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] trailer brakes

Truck manufacturers try  their best to get folk to purchase automatic transmissions, especially for pulling trailers.

The reason is that any idiot can stick his/her foot in it and pull a goose neck horse trailer with an automatic, but if you do not drive a manual properly, especially with a diesel, you will rip out the clutch and/or trannsmission in 5 K miles.  Typically, the idiot then wants the auto maker to fix, and also tells all of his/her friends at the local bar what bad trucks are made by the company.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875