Re: [RC] Tongue Weight - Elizabeth Walker

I think it depends on the configuration of your truck, as well.  As I said in another post, we had a problem with traction when we had an F-150.  It was less a power problem than a weight problem.  The truck had a long bed, and just didn't have enough weight over the back wheels for steep dirt roads.

The F250 we bought had a shorter bed, and more power and weight.  No problem.  I currently have an F250 Dually with a long bed.  I had trouble in a couple of cases with the rear tires not getting traction (on the flat, in wet grass).  I added a steel-framed camper shell, and haven't had traction problems since then.

So, if you have a trailer like a Brenderup that doesn't have a lot of tongue weight, coupled with a truck that runs light over the back wheels, traction on dirt roads might very well be a problem.  The Jimmy has a fairly short wheel base, right?  If the other lady has a long-bed Toyota (camper / no camper?), I can see why she might have a problem, and you might not.