[RC] Safer to commute in a truck - k s swigart

Lynne said:

What has not been stated is the intangible. ....
?So I just feel SAFER all the time driving a big truck,
?especially in Los Angeles traffic.

On the other hand, it would be much safer to commute in a small commuter car if
fewer people were commuting in tow trucks.? I have already noticed that there
are smaller vehicles on the road here in Califonia this past year, and it has
made driving here a much more pleasant experience (especially since some of the
people who have recently down sized their commuting vehicles to commuter cars
from, say,?Suburbans never had sufficient driving skill to operate a Suburban
in the first place).

I agree that safety is something you have to consider when downsizing your
vehicle, and not just your tow vehicle.? You could reduce your commuting costs
even further by commuting on a motorcycle (and I know several peole who do, and
for this very reason), but I choose not to do this...but it isn't because I
can't afford to.

I was addressing only the operating costs associated with commuting in a tow
truck, not all the trade-offs.? The financial costs associated with increased
risks vary even more wildly to the extent that they are virtually impossible to
quantify, but choosing to buy "not enough truck to tow" because you are
planning to commute in it because you cannot afford a commuter car as well is
hardly eliminating those risks.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)