[RC] right vehicle for towing - k s swigart

Kathy Sherman said:

> Drivers would constantly pull in front of me and take up my
> braking cushion as I was going down a steep hill and already
> braking for the approaching stop light.

Your braking cushion for approaching a stop light should be exactly the same for a loaded horse trailer (i.e. one loaded with horses) no matter how much truck you have, since the limiting factor on how quickly you can stop with a horse trailer SHOULD be a function entirely of how comfortably the horses can take such a stop.

> After several times of feeling my trailer pushing me when I had to
> brake harder rather than hit these ignorant drivers, I took the plunge
> and bought a Dodge Ram 2500.

IF your problem was that you could feel the trailer pushing you when you braked harder, your problem was not that you didn't have enough truck to stop your trailer, it was that you didn't have enough BRAKES to stop your trailer, and you would have done better to get better trailer brakes rather than buy more truck.

I repeat, if you have adequate brakes for your vehicle, you don't need any more space to stop it no matter how big it is.

And if your trailer is pushing you around when you are braking, you don't have adequate brakes on your trailer.  Getting a bigger truck can compensate for not having enough trailer brake, but it doesn't change the fact that you don't have enough trailer brakes.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)