Re: [RC] Trailer towing - Diane Trefethen

I want to drive a relatively safe towing vehicle but I remember when having two vehicles wasn't an option for me and I couldn't afford to use a commute vehicle that got 10mpg.

"Safety" is relative. Just because some people open doors with a handkerchief over the knob, that doesn't mean that the rest of us recklessly court dreaded diseases because we use our bare hands. Each of us must balance what we can afford, what we are willing to risk, and what we believe to be safe. We also factor in how we plan to use the vehicle, our own driving skills, and even our level of common sense. For someone else to say that my towing vehicle is *too* small, they must first consider all the factors I have and only then are they in a position to state with reasonable assurance that MY vehicle is *too* small. If they don't, then they are just making self-righteous pronouncements about how much better *their* choice is than mine - or maybe how much better they are than I because they have more money.

Certainly we want to have the best towing vehicle for our horses but do YOU use a Mack, Kenworth, Freightliner or Peterbilt? Why not? They would all be much more powerful and have bigger, better brakes and therefore be a lot safer than a puny Dodge, Ford or Chevy 3/4 ton. Could it be because there are other factors you have to consider besides power and big brakes? Like an 8 yr old used can run $25-60K and you don't own a business you can use to write off the expense? Or they're less maneuverable? Or that mileage is in the tank... pun intended :)

If you usually haul your 900# Arab to the park to condition or to an Endurance ride, then for you, these vehicles are all overkill. Right? So if *you* can make that assessment for you, why do you think others can't do the same? Just because they come up with a different answer doesn't mean they deserve your censure.

Suppose *you* could only afford one vehicle, would you buy 1) a "small", used, Toyota 3/4 ton to serve as a towing vehicle and a commuting vehicle or 2) a used economy car to commute and only go to rides if you could beg a ride from someone else? If you are quick to choose #2, ask yourself if that choice would have worked for you these last 10 years. Ask yourself if you believe that you are smart enough and sensible enough that you could haul "safely" by driving more slowly and exercising better judgment on the road if the alternative was to not go to rides at all.