[RC] weigh your trailer - Tx Trigger

How many have actually gone to a scale, and weighed their trailer? How many just guess at what the weight of their trailer is with a couple horses, hay, tack, water, and all the other stuff we take to rides. Now, how many have weighed their whole rig, loaded, full of fuel, heading to a ride? THAT is a very important weight to know, when considering if you are over loading your truck.  But most just go joyfully down the road, thinking that they are well under what their truck is rated to tow (and STOP). I have heard of insurance companies refusing to pay on claims when a truck/trailer were in an accident, and then found to be over loaded. Not sure if this is one of those urban, er, well, "horsey" legends that goes around, or if it is true. But I'd hate to be denied a claim because I was stupid enough to over load my truck, and get in an accident because of that fact. Of course the money is the least of my concerns if my horse, other people, or myself were to be hurt...or worse.

Many truck stop gas stations have scales out back. I think it was $5 to weigh my rig, and I was allowed three weights. I went with the truck and trailer loaded, and weighed the whole rig, then just the trailer loaded on the scale, and then, since I wanted to know my tongue weight on my bumperpull, I unhitched it with the jack only on a scale, and got a fairly accurate tongue weight.

Jonni