[RC] Braking time (was: So Cal, etc.) - k s swigart

D'Arcy said:

I will not risk the safety and legs of my horses because some
?idiot is oblivous to the mechanics of length vs breaking time.?
?Personally I'd like to see this as part of the driving test in CA.?

Assuming that the brakes on the vehicle are adequate for the vehicle and are
applied properly, "braking time" (I am assuming here that she is actually
talking about braking distance, not time, since distance is what anybody really
should care about) is the same for all vehicles, no matter the length of the
vehicle or (weight for that matter).

Granted, people with live loads (like horses) don't like to stop their vehicles
as fast as the vehicle can be stopped and with good reason (because I don't
want to have the horse in the truck with me); however, I personally think it is
the responsibility of the person hauling the live load to accommodate their
live loads, not the responsibility of everybody else on the road.? Why WOULD
you expect non horse people to understand that you are unwilling to stop your
vehicle as fast as it can be stopped?

Most people are not aware that it doesn't take any longer to stop a big truck
than it does a little truck, but unless the big truck has inadequate brakes, it
doesn't.? So maybe this should be part of the driver's test. However, anything
with inadequate brakes (big truck or little car--or heavy trailer with no
brakes that somebody is foolish enough to expect to stop with the tow vehicl)
will take longer to stop than a vehicle with adequate brakes.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)