[RC] Equestrian culture & trailering. - Marv Walker

First of all, can we watch our subject lines? The vanishing equine culture SL has
long changed to trailering.

I agree with Carla. Driving safely isn't just a matter of WHAT you drive. It is also a matter of HOW you drive. When you drive a "small" towing vehicle, you must reduce your speeds and/or increase your "envelope" sufficiently to account for the fact you have to control more weight with less vehicle. There are practical limits to this as when you try to compensate by driving at 35mph in a place where everyone else is doing 65mph. That can be unsafe because of the disparity between speeds, not because you can't stop your rig safely to avoid an obstacle.

My first truck was an '86 Toyota 1-ton, NOT a T-100. That puppy hauled me, my horse, panels and gear from Redwood City, CA (SF Bay Area) to the Derby Ditch in Fernley, NV, and back, averaging 20mpg. That is up over the Sierras, 8700' at Immigrant Pass. I defy anyone with a "big" gasoline truck to even remotely approach that kind of economy. If Toyota brought back that "little" truck, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

There is more involved than the ability to pull the trailer. The pulling ability of
the vehicle is but one part of towing.

Having a heavier than the tow vehicle trailer can get downright Sasquatch when
braking or slowing around a turn, especially one that is at the bottom of any grade.
The trailer tends to push the vehicle at an angle to the travel which greatly reduces
the tow vehicle tire road friction and greatly increases jackknife potential.

Marv "And don't get me started on the lack of horse trailer leveling." Walker
Horse Info & Training DVDs ~ http://MarvWalker.com