Re: [RC] Alaska rides - marybenstover

Years ago there was a guy named Chris Lingar who was in the army in Alaska and they did do some limited type endurance rides but with bears in the trees, etc. they were not exactly what we have now.  He is the one who told me you could tell native born Alaska horses because a lot of the time the were missing the tips of their ears which would freeze off of the newborn colts.....................mb

----- Original Message -----
From: desertrydr1@xxxxxxx
To: msgabbani@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:53:26 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [RC] Alaska rides

I was in Fairbanks from 1984-1990.  I lived outside of town about 4 miles from the University of AK-Fairbanks.  There were 2 horses that lived right down the road from us, my son who was about 3 at the time, really wanted to see them up close til I lifted him up and their heads were almost as big as him!

There are a number of horses in Fairbanks, but one of the reasons I left after I got my degree was that I knew "I" could never afford to have horses up there.  There's actually a fairly large horse community in the Anchorage area, as they have much milder winters.  There are even shows and clinics up there, although I haven't heard of any rides available.

jeri