De: Truman Prevatt [mailto:tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Date: mer. 25/11/2009 22:13
À: LIESENS Leonard (COMM); ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : Re: [RC] FEI and the system of voting

This is not a new issue. Take for example the ineffectiveness of the US
federal government under the Articles of Confederation that led the
Congress to summon the Convention of 1787. Originally intended to revise
the Articles of Confederation, it instead wrote a completely new
constitution. Virginia delegate James Madison called for a bicameral
Congress in his Virginia Plan: the lower house elected directly by the
people, and the upper house elected by the lower house. The smaller
states, however, saw this as power grab by the larger states to the
determent of the smaller states and proposed  a unicameral Congress with
equal representation for all states. New Jersey countered Madison's
proposals with the New Jersey Plan. Eventually, a compromise was
reached: the House of Representatives was to provide representation
proportional by population, whereas the Senate would provide equal
representation by states with senators elected by the people.

The larger delegations always feel they should have a bigger say -
whether it makes any sense or not. One could make a very valid argument
that all nations should have equal say. Old Ben Franklin not being one
of few words made the comment after the new governmental structure which
the US has today was finalized. "Two lions and a sheep discussing what
to have for dinner is democracy. Two lions and a well armed sheep
discussing what to have for dinner is liberty."

Truman

--

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."