RE: [RC] re: euthanizing an old horse (opening a can of worms) - Kitley, Carrie E Civ USAF AFSPC 30 MDSS/SGSLF

Euthanizing old horses . . .
I was blessed with the opportunity to rescue an old horse from certain
death by euthanasia.  Why did I do this?  Because this 36 year old
Leopard Appaloosa was going to be euthanized for no particular reason .
. . simply because he was really old and his owner was tired of caring
for him.  This woman put out an announcement after some urging from a
friend of mine, that she would hold off putting him down for two days if
someone would just take him.
I took him, sight unseen, no prior vet checks, period.  The reports from
my friend, said there was nothing wrong with him that she could see.  He
was just old and feeble.  He still has all his teeth!
His name was Thunder, since renamed Teddy.  This horse has brought more
joy to me and countless little girls, horse-crazy daughters of friends
and relatives, etc.  He has a job now . . . making hearts smile.   They
bring him carrots, apples and cookies, groom him and ride bareback
around the stables with HUGE, priceless grins on their faces.   I'm so
grateful to have been in the right place at the right time and was able
to sacrifice and extra $175 a month in board fees just to allow him to
be on this earth a little longer.  Everyone who knows Teddy LOVES him,
he's such a character and so stinkin cute.
Yes, he is in some pain.  He has arthritis, but wow does he ever have a
ton of sparkle!!  We don't tell him how old he is because in his mind,
he still has a job to do and a purpose in life.  When turned out, he
still kicks up his heels and snorts like a stallion.  When he's carrying
around a 9-year old girl with a huge grin on her face, he has everything
to live for.
When the time comes and I have to make that difficult decision for
Teddy, I know without a doubt not to do it until his sparkle is gone.
Like someone else stated, the decision is case-driven for sure.
Sorry for the novel, but I love Teddy and he has touched so many lives,
just in the one year he's been with us.  :)

Carrie