[RC] That can of worms... - Lynn White

I HATED putting my nineteen year old first horse down.  She still had that
sparkle and was healthy other than the fact that she had navicular and severe
arthritis in her hips.  MSM just didn't work.  She'd fall down and not be able
to get up.  So I let her have one last summer in the pasture and I put her down
when the weather got cold.  It still hurts to think about it, but she didn't
have to suffer the fate of falling down and lying in the cold ground for hours
and hours.  She had a lot of personality and I miss her still.  Euthanizing can
be the most unselfish thing a horse owner can do.  It forces one to look at
their inner self while becoming divorced of emotion.  Not an easy thing to do.

I have this 25 year old gelding that I wouldn't part with to save my life.
There are probably only two people in the world I would trust him to and they
have enough horses so that's out of the question.  He is the finest, most
elegant horse I will ever own, and he can still blow the lid off my other two
horses when they run in the pasture.  His purpose in life is to be the "Guest
Horse"  for the guests that never come and bring a smile to my heart.  I call
him my "Old Friend."

Lynn

"Did you ever notice that the first piece of luggage on the carousel never
belongs to anyone?"

-Erma Bombeck