Re: Spam:****, [RC] re: euthanizing an old horse (opening a can of worms) - Nancy Sturm

But in general, anyone has a right to death, and anyone has a right to life (both animals and people), if my horse still acts alive and happy, she is telling me she wants to live, I don't think I could make the executive decision to tell her she can't...

This is one of those areas where I am glad I am not God and where I would rather not step into His role. We have euthanized two horses, not a question whether it was the right thing to do or not. We were probably a day late with each. We have erred in each direction with dogs, too soon? too late?

Yesterday we buried my brother. He had pancreatic cancer and dropped from 200 lbs to 125. His last days were spent in a morphine fog. We were truly sad when he got the diagnosis, not so much when he finally died.

Today I am home caring for our five disabled children (adopted & foster should you wonder about just how bad my luck has been). Some medical professionals see little value in their lives. I see happy comfortable "different" people. I think their lives have value every day including that of a little munchkin I am going to go cuddle in a minute who has the horrific diagnosis of shaken baby syndrome.

I came off my horse this morning and at 67 it doesn't feel good but I don't think I am ready for euthanasia. I'll let you know what I think in the morning.

Nancy