RE: [RC] re: euthanizing an old horse (opening a can of worms) - ll cole

Kudos on your bravery. I don't know if the right time to chose euthanasia is a hard and fast decision. You know your horse better than anyone. However, having said that, I also know of people that live in constant, unending, hard to control pain that would rather not be here. We brought my father back from the brink once, and he said over and over until he passed, that he had a good life and wished we had let him go, as he hurt so terribly all the time. Now, if I have a horse in constant, unending pain....and his whole life is trying to get around and handle that pain....I believe earlier is better than later. Albert Einstein once said that an eternity with a pretty woman seemed like five minutes, but five minutes sitting on a hot stove would feel like eternity. That is relativity. So I think pain is kinda like that. Such a variable, and all we can go on is what we imagine. I do know one thing, I don't want to linger. Not in any way, shape, or reason if "I" am no longer cognizant. And, by the way, wine coolers and rock and roll at my memorial.....
You want a real can of worms? I don't view euthanasia as a bad thing for any living thing. And before I get flamed..no, I don't want to make the rules, the decisions, or any laws. Only for myself.
Linda (who hopes she stays healthy for a long time yet,, but is content with having lived her life!)

From: michelle.antoinette@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:56:10 -0500
Subject: [RC] re: euthanizing an old horse (opening a can of worms)
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I always wonder if everyone who encourages euthanizing animals sooner, rather than later, have the same view with people.  I understand the kindness in euthanasia and am not at all against it in general.  There are so many people who are "forced" to continue living, despite how much pain they are going through.  This is because they are people, and not "animals".  Just like with people, I'm sure the decision as to whether to euthanize your horse or not will be a personal one.  You can tell by looking at them and watching them every day, whether they are still happy and enjoying life, despite the pain they may be going through.  Is it kind to euthanize an animal that is in pain, yet still enjoying their life?  They still have that sparkle in their eye =)  Everyone has their own opinion, but I don't know if I agree with it being better to do it a week too soon than an hour too late, but we may have different views on what this "week too soon" looks like.  If it were me, as a person, I'd rather be let go once I am "ready" to die.  I wouldn't want to die before I have reached this mental state.  Then we come into the question of whether horse's (or any animal) goes through the same process as we do.  I believe they do.  It is because of this belief, that I don't believe I would want to let my horse go while she still has the sparkle of life in her.  But as with any question/debate on euthanasia, this really is a case by case basis, and specific on the circumstances and what exactly is going on.  But in general, anyone has a right to death, and anyone has a right to life (both animals and people), if my horse still acts alive and happy, she is telling me she wants to live, I don't think I could make the executive decision to tell her she can't...  I don't know, it's complicated, but I wanted to respond, when I saw the post about all of this.  Hopefully no one attacks me for these personal thoughts ;-)
-Michelle

-- "Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"